Add laundry bleach to well water to purify water and household plumbing. Avoid damaging water softener by switching to bypass mode. Sample fresh water after removing excess bleach from plumbing.
- Calculate amount of bleach to use. Figure 1 gallon of bleach for each 15ft of water in well casing. If depth of water is unknown, use 5-8 gallons of bleach for first attempt. Increase amount of bleach for other purifications.
- Remove well cap and pour laundry bleach into well. Hose the bleach into the well. Mix for about 10 minutes if splashing is heard.
- Cap the well. Allow 30 minutes to for bleach and water to mix. To treat your softener, contact the dealer for instructions.
- Open cold water faucets and shower heads. Use cold water only in plumbing. Turn off faucets and shower heads when strong bleach smell comes through.
- Leave strong bleach smell in plumbing for at least 6 hours.
- Rinse all bleach from household plumbing before sampling water. Use a swimming pool kit if available.
- Bleach sample point before sampling. Use calculated laundry bleach in plastic container. Immerse faucet inside and outside.
- Rinse bleach from sampling outlet. Run water until fresh water flows from outlet. Turn water flow for 5 minutes or more.
- Collect sample per laboratory instructions.
For more information about household water quality click HERE