How to Chlorinate a Water Well
Add laundry bleach to well water to purify water and household plumbing. Avoid damaging water softener by switching to bypass mode. Sample fresh water after removing excess bleach from plumbing.
1. Calculate amount of bleach to use. Figure 1 gallon of bleach for each 15ft of water in well casing. If depth of water is unknown, use 5-8 gallons of bleach for first attempt. Increase amount of bleach for other purifications.
2. Remove well cap and pour laundry bleach into well. Hose the bleach into the well. Mix for about 10 minutes if splashing is heard.
3. Cap the well. Allow 30 minutes to for bleach and water to mix. To treat your softener, contact the dealer for instructions.
4. Open cold water faucets and shower heads. Use cold water only in plumbing. Turn off faucets and shower heads when strong bleach smell comes through.
5. Leave strong bleach smell in plumbing for at least 6 hours.
6. Rinse all bleach from household plumbing before sampling water. Use a swimming pool kit if available.
7. Bleach sample point before sampling. Use calculated laundry bleach in plastic container. Immerse faucet inside and outside.
8. Rinse bleach from sampling outlet. Run water until fresh water flows from outlet. Turn water flow for 5 minutes or more.
9. Collect sample per laboratory instructions.
For more information about household water quality click HERE